I am not an agent nor am I connected to this entity. The information provided below is independent and based on my research and experience. While I have taken steps to ensure the accuracy of the information presented here, there is no guarantee that it will continue to be accurate.
Target customer of the fund: “Late start” companies or “early or intermediate stage” companies.
Sector focus: Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in various sectors with a focus on IT / telecommunications, Healthcare and Consumer Goods.
Amounts provided: € 250,000 to € 3 million.
Financing type: Risk capital (It means that instead of granting a loan, the fund takes a% of the shares of the target company)
- Potential to be a top-level player in his field;
- Profitable in a sizeable / growing market for 5-7 years (fund exit period);
- Trained and committed entrepreneurs backed by solid management;
- comply with ethical standards, have a good environmental policy and working conditions;
- It will allow the position on the board of directors of the fund, as well as their participation in the management.
Search online for fund information or call Tel: +254 (0) 20 2019374
Who is behind the bottom?
Private investors and development finance institutions based primarily in Europe. The fund is managed by TBL Invest LTD, based in Nairobi and has a representative in Uganda.
How is the application process?
1. Submit the business plan.Make sure you meet your key criteria;
2. Introductory meeting (s). If the fund likes the plan, the investor will meet with the fund team;
3. Term sheet. A document detailing the basic terms and conditions; and
4. Due diligence.This means that the fund “verifies” the information presented in the plan.
What are my views / tips to be successful in accessing the capital?
1. Equipment:Venture capital funds like TBL support “late startups” with a track record. Your key indicator is a good team with solid experience. If you do not have internal capacity, ask a professional to accompany you.
2. Disruptive strategy. They are looking for a business that can quickly become number 1 or 2 in their respective field. It means having a strategy to directly confront existing market leaders. The plan must clearly show how this will be accomplished.
3. Ethical model. Some of the fund’s key sponsors are based in the Netherlands and this is the norm. Your plan should reflect these principles.
While I provide the tips above, you should be aware that some basic key information applies to all applications. This includes things like the plan that includes an executive summary, that it does not contain errors, that it is in an easy-to-read format, and the like.
Otherwise, good luck.